As the increase of internet data stolen threat, nobody wants to access the insecure website. So it is important to certified your site with an SSL certificate.
Why we need an SSL Certificate?
Google likes a secure website. It helps to increase your website’s SEO rankings on Google and other search engines with an SSL certificate. Google shows all non-SSL websites as “Not Secure”. This means that if you are not using an SSL certificate on your website, then you’ll lose customer’s trust.
How to Install Free an SSL certificate?
There are several non-profit certificate authorities like Let’s Encrypt that distribute SSL certificates for free.
If your hosting provider doesn’t want to integrate Let’s Encrypt, but does support uploading custom certificates, you can install Certbot or sslforfree on your own computer and use it in manual mode. We don’t recommend this option because it is time-consuming and you will need to repeat it several times per year as your certificate expires.
Let’s Encrypt CA issues short-lived certificates (90 days). Make sure you renew the certificates at least once in 3 months.
Here are the steps to install Let’s Encrypt on shared hosting using SSL For Free:
- On SSL For Free homepage, enter your website’s URL and click Create Free SSL Certificate.
- After Clicking on the “Create Free SSL Certification” button, you can see three buttons. Select Manual Verification, then press on the Manually Verify Domain button that appears at the bottom.
- Find the Upload Verification Files. Download the verification files, File #1 and File #2, listed on number one to your local storage. Do not close the page.
- Access File Manager from your CPanel dashboard, then go to your root directory. In most cases, it’s public_html.
- Create a new folder named .well-known, and another one called acme-challenge inside the newly created folder. Upload both verification files (which you downloaded in the above step) to the acme-challenge folder.
- Navigate back to the SSL For Free Upload Verification Files page and click on both verification links listed on number five. If the verification process is successful, random alphanumeric characters should appear on your screen both times. If not, recheck the files’ paths to ensure you have placed them in the correct location.
- Click Download SSL Certificate to generate three sets of keys — certificate, private key, and CA bundle. Write them down as you will need them in the next step.
- Moving back to your hosting account, access the SSL menu under the Advanced section. Paste the keys you have obtained to the appointed boxes, then click Install.
- If everything was fine then you can see the secure symbol on your site.
What is SSL/TLS ?
u003cstrongu003eSSL (Secure Sockets Layer)u003c/strongu003e and its successor, u003cstrongu003eTLS (Transport Layer Security)u003c/strongu003e, are protocols for establishing authenticated and encrypted links between networked computers. Although the SSL protocol was deprecated with the release of TLS 1.0 in 1999, it is still common to refer to these related technologies as “SSL” or “SSL/TLS.”
How SSL/TLS work ?
SSL/TLS works by binding the identities of entities such as websites and companies to cryptographic u003ca rel=u0022noreferrer noopeneru0022 href=u0022https://www.ssl.com/article/private-and-public-keys/u0022 target=u0022_blanku0022u003eu003cstrongu003ekey pairsu003c/strongu003eu003c/au003e via digital documents known as u003cstrongu003eu003ca rel=u0022noreferrer noopeneru0022 href=u0022https://www.ssl.com/faqs/what-is-an-x-509-certificate/u0022 target=u0022_blanku0022u003eX.509 certificatesu003c/au003eu003c/strongu003e. Each key pair consists of a u003cstrongu003eprivate keyu003c/strongu003e and a u003cstrongu003epublic keyu003c/strongu003e. The private key is kept secure, and the public key can be widely distributed via a certificate.
Why you need to Install SSL Certificate?
1. u003cstrongu003eImproves website securityu003c/strongu003e u003cbru003e2. u003cstrongu003eIncreases credibilityu003c/strongu003e.u003cbru003e3. u003cstrongu003eImproves SEO rankingu003c/strongu003e